qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Questions on DeviceState and Virtio infrastructure

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Questions on DeviceState and Virtio infrastructure
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 13:12:30 +0200

On 06/30/2011 12:21 PM, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jun 2011, Wei Liu wrote:
On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Alexander Graf<address@hidden>  wrote:
On 29.06.2011, at 15:59, Wei Liu<address@hidden>  wrote:

Hi, QEMU folks

I know that I might have a bad title for this post, but I just don't
have better idea for the title.

I'm developing virtio support for Xen pv guest, hoping to reuse the
virtio infrastructure in qemu, i.e. I'm planning to use qemu as
"virtio backend" for Xen pv. And qemu can be run as pv backend if
proper "machine" option is given.

Maybe you've known that Xen pv guest utilizes Xenbus/Xenstore to
configure its paravirt devices. So I'm to configure virtio devices
with Xenbus/Xenstore as well. But in nowdays XenDevice in qemu does
not include a DeviceState. To my understanding, it is not connected to
qemu's internal buses or whatever (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm
relatively new to qemu).
I'm not a huge fan of adding multiple different transports for virtio if we
don't have to. IIRC Xen PV guests can do PCI device assignment, right? That
means there is a PCI bus for them which we could reuse to run virtio-pci on.

By then, you'd get all the virtio code for free and don't have to worry about
maintaining yet another transport (which _is_ cumbersome)

Good point, I will check this.

I thought that Xen pv pci assignment is only used for pci passthrough.
But I will check the possibility to assign pv backend to guest.

Stefano, how would you say about this?

Yes, the PCI bus is an empty PCI bus created by xen-pcifront and it is
only used for PCI passthrough. It couldn't be used as is for virtio-pci.

What's keeping us from doing so? Doesn't MMIO emulation work with Xen PV?

Alex