qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v2 01/20] Hierarchical memory region API

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v2 01/20] Hierarchical memory region API
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 14:25:54 +0100

On 28 June 2011 13:09, Avi Kivity <address@hidden> wrote:
> Okay, let's make t_p_a_t max(bus size in system).

If you want a type for that, can't you give it a sensible (ie
different) name? target_phys_addr_t is pretty clearly "the type
of a physical address for this target" and having it actually
be something else is just going to be confusing.

> Do we have 32-bit targets
> that don't support pci (I guess, pc-isa with cpu < ppro?).  Do we want to
> support a 32-bit variant of pci?  It certainly existed at some point.

As a thought experiment, you could take an existing 32 bit
target and define a new board model that happens to have eg a
new pci controller on it. It doesn't seem right that that
should cause the system's idea of this type width to change,
it's just a new device model and board. So if you have this
type I think it ought to be max(bus size of widest bus qemu
supports).

-- PMM