qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] struct TimerState

From: Lluís
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] struct TimerState
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 14:32:23 +0200

Nilay Vaish writes:

> Let me ask a more pointed question. Is there a way to know how many
> cycles the virtual machine has been running for? A comment that
> appears before the defintion of the TimerState structure -- guest
> cycle counter.

AFAIR, the TimerState captures the amount of host nsec/cycles that the
VM has been stopped for since the last VM stop/start pair.

> As per Lluis' reply, this structure is keeping track of the time when
> the VM started. Can you determine this from the variables that are
> part of this structure?

Determine what? The amount of host nsec/cycles or the amount of guest
nsec/cycles?

The former cannot be directly obtained unless you aggregate the
intermediate values in TimerState (although you're already able to get
that information from the OS). The latter depends under which
configuration you're executing (i.e., use_icount).

Lluis

 Tollbooth