qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] -net interface association behavior change in current -

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] -net interface association behavior change in current -git.
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 05:31:20 -0500

On 05/13/2011 01:39 AM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>>  Actually, reading qemu
>> --help it looks like I should be using hostfwd= but the documentation on
>> that is REALLY WEIRD:
>>
>>   This option can not be given multiple times, but multiple rules may
>>   be combined.
>
> Where did you find this? A quick grep did not reveal the location to me.
> qemu-options.hx states it clearly:

I did a "man qemu" and searched for hostfwd, it was at the end of the
first paragraph:

   hostfwd=[tcp|udp]:[hostaddr]:hostport-[guestaddr]:guestport
       Redirect incoming TCP or UDP connections to the host port
       hostport to the guest IP address guestaddr on guest port
       guestport. If guestaddr is not specified, its value is x.x.x.15
       (default first address given by the built-in DHCP server). By
       specifying hostaddr, the rule can be bound to a specific host
       interface. If no connection type is set, TCP is used. This
       option can not be given multiple times, but multiple rules may
       be combined.

Looks like it grabbed the xubuntu 10.04 (current LTS) man page, which is
wrong.  The one in the qemu source is correct, but wasn't built by
"make" or installed by "make install".  (It built when I explicitlly
said make qemu.1 though.  Go figure.)

*shrug*  Never underestimate ubuntu's ability to subtly break qemu, this
is the... fourth different way I've noticed them doing that?  (I dunno
why they keep fiddling with it.  Thought installing qemu from source
also installed the man page, which would be in the search path before
the distro version.  My bad...)

Rob