qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to use qemu-kvm with Fedora15-beta gnome3 (better v

From: Cheng Renquan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to use qemu-kvm with Fedora15-beta gnome3 (better vga driver ?)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 01:24:27 -0700

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:57 AM, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 04/21/2011 05:40 AM, Cheng Renquan wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to use qemu-kvm to run Fedora15-beta with gnome3,
>> but it told me graphics hardware failed to run gnome3 specific
>> features and it fallback to gnome2;
>
> Sorry, none of the cards provided by KVM (including the SPICE-specific QXL
> card) currently provide the 3D acceleration abilities required by GNOME 3.

Later when I tried VirtualBox I found VB video driver has such 3D acceleration
abilities, but I just don't like VB style slow performance;

Then are there some plans / possibilities to add more virtual graphics hardware
drivers for qemu kvm ? Any specification to follow? Pointers for me to explore
this way?

address@hidden ~ $ ls -lh /usr/share/qemu/vgabios*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 35K Oct 14  2010 /usr/share/qemu/vgabios-cirrus.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 39K Oct 14  2010 /usr/share/qemu/vgabios.bin
address@hidden ~ $ file /usr/share/qemu/vgabios*
/usr/share/qemu/vgabios-cirrus.bin: BIOS (ia32) ROM Ext. IBM comp.
Video (70*512)
/usr/share/qemu/vgabios.bin:        BIOS (ia32) ROM Ext. IBM comp.
Video (78*512)