qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] GSoC - QCOW2 <-> QED image converter

From: Lyu Mitnick
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] GSoC - QCOW2 <-> QED image converter
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 02:03:43 +0800

Hello Stefan, Kevin

I don't want to diversify my GSoC applications. I thought I should do my best of
supporting fully VHD and add asynchronous io into block/vpc.c via coroutines. I
noticed that there is "splitting hard disk images" feature in VHD specification. I
have take a look of block/raw-win32.c and guess there isn't this feature in block/vpc.c.
I am wondering whether what I learned is right??

2011/4/5 Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden>
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 7:56 PM, Lyu Mitnick <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello all,
> Looking at QEMU'w wiki I saw the "QCOW2 <- > QED image converter", that I
> am
> also interested to work as student and apply for GSoC 2011. I have study
> the
> specifications of the two images and have some idea about
> implementation. There
> is someone already working on this project?? I also want to apply for
> "Improved
> image format compatibility". Could I merge the two idea into one application
> or I should
> apply separately??

Other students have expressed their interest too, but that is normal
for GSoC project ideas.

Please just note on your application that you'd be interested in doing
QCOW2<->QED, there's no need to do a separate application in this
case.  The mentors are the same for both QCOW2<->QED and image format
updates.  The area of these two projects is similar, and we select the
most talented students rather than the best application forms.  I am
confident the selected student(s) would be capable of tackling either
project.

If you want to diversify your GSoC applications to increase your
chance of getting a place, then I suggest applying at a different
organization in addition to QEMU.org.  That way you are not subject to
the QEMU.org slot allocation.

Stefan

Thanks a lot

Mitnick