qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] GSoC 2011: S3 Trio, AHCI

From: Roland Elek
Subject: [Qemu-devel] GSoC 2011: S3 Trio, AHCI
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 15:36:12 +0200

Dear Qemu developers,

First, I'd like to reintroduce myself, as my university and official duties prevented me from being active in the community since last year. I am Roland Elek, a student from Hungary, and a successful student participant of Google Summer of Code 2010. This year, I would like to participate again. I know I'm a bit late, but I'm still hoping to get things arranged before the deadline.

Last year, I worked on AHCI emulation with Alex as my mentor. Do you think a proper summer project could be proposed from what is still missing? If so, can I kindly ask someone to give me some pointers to what the project needs the most, and where I should look first for things to include in my proposal? Also, if the idea is feasible, would there be someone who could be my mentor?

Last year, I was also interested in working on S3 Trio emulation. This year, the same idea is on the ideas list. The hardware is pretty thoroughly documented through source code and textual documentation, and I'm already familiar with adding PCI devices to Qemu, so I do see a rough outline of how I would implement it.

However, last year, Paul Brook commented [1] that he wasn't convinced about the usefulness of emulating an S3 Trio or Virge card, because of performance reasons. He suggested that accelerating the 2D engine would be tricky because the framebuffer is exposed to the guest. This might be just me not fully understanding his point, but isn't this also the case with the Cirrus Logic GD5446 card?

He also suggested paravirtualization for 3D acceleration. Do you think it would make a good summer project?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Roland

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2010-04/msg00012.html