qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: 2.6.32.x guest dies when trying to run tcpdump

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: 2.6.32.x guest dies when trying to run tcpdump
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 16:52:55 +0100

On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Nikola Ciprich <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm using virtio network channel, and on one of the guests (the one with
> aborted ext4) I use it also for one of virtual disks.
> One more interesting thing, I can't reproduce this immediately after guest
> boot, but for example second day after boot, I can reproduce this.
> perhaps this can suggest something?
> Could somebody please help me to find and possibly fix this bug?

Softlockups are a symptom that a guest vcpu hasn't been able to
execute.  Unfortunately I don't see anything that points to a specific
bug in the backtraces.

> If needed, I can provide further debugging information, bisect etc...

It looks like your guests are SMP.  How many vcpus are you running?
How many physical cpus does /proc/cpuinfo list on the host?

Is the host overloaded when this occurs?

Are there any clues in host dmesg?

Stefan