qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] OVMF Google Summer of Code ideas

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] OVMF Google Summer of Code ideas
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 10:22:08 +0000

On 6 March 2011 15:29, Michal Suchanek <address@hidden> wrote:
> I would like to see the ability to run x86 on arm.
>
> I think there were some attempts to implement this and an outdated?
> support for arm on x86 exists but x86 cannot be emulated on arm so
> far.

ARM on x86 isn't outdated; it has bugs (what code doesn't?) but we're
working on squashing those; I definitely care about A-profile ARM
targets, so if you have specific bugs please report them and I will
investigate.

x86 on ARM should in theory work, because all the major pieces are
there (ie there is an x86 TCG frontend and an ARM backend), and I
believe Aurelien fixed a number of bugs in it before the 0.14
release. I just tried the linux-user mode and this seems to work:

address@hidden:~/qemu/qemu/qemu# uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.35-1006-linaro-omap #12-Ubuntu Tue Sep
21 20:09:17 UTC 2010 armv7l GNU/Linux
address@hidden:~/qemu/qemu/qemu# file /tmp/hello
/tmp/hello: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
statically linked, for GNU/Linux 2.6.15, not stripped
address@hidden:~/qemu/qemu/qemu# ./i386-linux-user/qemu-i386 /tmp/hello
Hello, x86 on ARM world!

I haven't tested the system-emulation mode but I don't think there
is anything known to be missing that would make it not work. So I
think this is also in the "report bugs for things which don't work"
phase.

One caveat: I had to configure with '--extra-cflags=-marm', otherwise
qemu segfaulted; I guess we aren't properly coping with the C code
being compiled for Thumb...

-- PMM