qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [patch 2/3] Add support for live block copy

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [patch 2/3] Add support for live block copy
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 15:41:30 -0600

On 02/23/2011 02:44 PM, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

Any indirect qemu state.  Block migration is an example, but other
examples would be VNC server information (like current password),
WCE setting (depending on whether we modelled eeprom for the
drivers), and persisted device settings (lots of devices have eeprom
these days).
Agreed.

Why a separate location for this "stateful non-config" section, however?

The state in question (backing image property, device presence, VNC
info, etc) is already represented in either host or guest configuration,
so why not simply expose that?

Hrm, are you suggesting that the "stateful non-config" be hidden directly from the user such that only existing monitor interfaces are used to query it's contents?

I'll have to think about that a bit. Obviously, the existing commands would still be authoritative even with a query-state command. I think the only question is whether there's value in making this totally opaque.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori