qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: GSOC 2011

From: Aurelien Jarno
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: GSOC 2011
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 14:08:57 +0100

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 07:32:31PM -0500, yajin wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi,

> I have proposed an idea of GSOC 2011 about adding KVM support to MIPS
> architecture. I have solid experience on MIPS architecture and
> familiar with qemu. I am very interested in this project.

Having KVM support for MIPS would be really great. AFAIK there is not
hardware virtualization support on MIPS (except if you plan to use the
supervisor mode for that), so how do you plan to proceed here? Executing
everything in user mode and emulating the trapped instructions? MIPS is
using a split address space depending on the mode, so that may not be
that easy.

All of that to say it would be nice to have a more detailed description
about such a GSOC, describing the your exact plans with a rough
timeline. This is especially true, given that adding support for a new
architecture in KVM seems to be a huge task for a GSOC.

The best is probably to fill a new entry on the wiki, at this address:

  http://wiki.qemu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2011

> According to the GSOC, there should be a mentor to each participating
> project. Is there anyone interested to be the mentor of this project?
> I would be honored to work with you.

I know almost nothing about KVM, so if we go for a GSOC about adding KVM
support to MIPS, it would be nice to have another mentor who have a good
knowledge about KVM. I am pretty fine with the MIPS part though.

Aurelien

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
address@hidden                 http://www.aurel32.net