qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes for Feb 8

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes for Feb 8
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 21:24:12 +0000

On 13 February 2011 16:56, Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> wrote:
> If we can move away from Bus abstraction and to a simpler interface
> mechanism, then we can express peer relationships by just having bidirection
> references.  IOW:
>
> -device cpus,northbridge=nb,id=cpus,count=16 -device i440fx,cpus=cpus
>
> I don't think modelling each CPU makes sense.  We should probably just model
> all cpus in a single device for the sake of simplicity.

How would this work for systems with multiple CPUs which have different
views of the world? (ie their memory maps differ so that eg some RAM is
shared between them but some parts of the address space are different
RAM for the two cores, some devices one core only, some devices shared
between cores but the device can tell which core made an IO request)
With a bus-style abstraction this is straightforward: each core has its
own bus which is what defines its view of the world, some devices
and RAM are wired up to both buses. I'm not sure how the bidirectional
reference model would look for this?

(Real world examples would be if we ever had any need to actually
model any of the auxiliary cores in say an OMAP device, or the
M3 in a versatile-express. Yes, most systems won't look that odd
but it does come up, especially in testbench type designs, and our
interface abstraction should be able to handle it.)

-- PMM