qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes for Feb 8

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes for Feb 8
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:04:28 +0100

On 02/10/2011 02:27 PM, Gleb Natapov wrote:
I don't care how command line will look like, but I do not see how you
will support ide=off without device composition unless you put ad-hoc
ifs all over your i440fx device code.

Yes, in the piix3 device code, the ide property would trigger an if().

BTW, I'm extremely sceptical that you really do have machines w/o IDE at all. Even the servers we ship with only SAS or SCSI support still have an integrated IDE controller.

Since most servers are built from the same chipset design that has IDE, I don't really see how you could build a modern system without IDE.

And that's okay, but the base modelling ought to follow rea
hardware closely with deviations being the exception.

You keep saying this without explaining why. But with device composition
you will have exactly that, you will compose real chipsets using config
files, not code.

Yeah, that's been the direction we've been going in since qdev was introduced. I'm now convinced that this is overly ambitious. By simply reducing the scope of conversion, we get 99% of the benefit with 10% of the effort. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

--
                        Gleb.