qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-user: relocating target code weakness

From: Richard Henderson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-user: relocating target code weakness
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 11:46:27 -0800

On 01/24/2011 03:34 AM, Stefano Bonifazi wrote:
> I am working on a project based on qemu-user. More exactly it is
> qemu-ppc (version 0.13.0) with x86 host. All the project and
> documentation about qemu will be open for everybody as it is a
> project for my university that is a public one.. I have the need to
> relocate the target code in the memory space to some other starting
> address. So I went inside linux-user/elfload.c: load_elf_binary and
> there I found many things that according to me are someway buggy or
> just "weak" ..

Yes.  Have a look at

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2010-07/msg01626.html

where I tried to clean this up last year.  The patch never got properly
reviewed, however.

All that said, unless you have an executable that's been properly
prepared for relocation, e.g. an ET_DYN binary instead of a normal
ET_EXEC binary, you will *not* have enough information to do what
you're suggesting.

r~