qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Usefulness of the bug tracker

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Usefulness of the bug tracker
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 10:28:46 +0000

Patches that are being submitted shouldn't go on the bug tracker.  I
have edited the QEMU wiki to make this clearer:
http://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/SubmitAPatch
http://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/ReportABug

Hopefully this will help first-time bug reporters put things in the right place.

You noticed bugs staying around forever on the bugtracker, I think
that's the right thing for a bug tracker to do.  If a bug exists then
it should live on the bug tracker until it gets fixed.

The real problem is that we're collecting bugs but not effectively
investigating and fixing them.  Can Launchpad send out automatic bug
summary emails once every week/two weeks/month?  That way we would get
a nudge on the mailing list that there are n open bugs left.  Right
now bugs come in on the mailing list and if they don't get attention
right away, they tend to get forgotten.

Stefan