qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Asynchronously Mirroring a Virtual Machine

From: Tomer Margalit
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Asynchronously Mirroring a Virtual Machine
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 19:34:28 +0200

Thanks, I will check it out.
Do you know of any documentation for the migration? (In case I need to look at it).

Thanks,
 Tomer

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 4:34 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Tomer Margalit
<address@hidden> wrote:
> What I would like to add to it is the ability to asynchronously mirror a
> (QEMU) VM as well, so that if the primary site crashes, the VM can be
> restored (to the last stable point) immediately.
> Since I want it to be as general as possible, I will not rely on my mirror,
> but only on there being a virtual block device that is mirroring me (and
> that has consistent writes (that is, if write A succeeded, and afterwards
> write B succeeded, then if B is on the secondary site, then A must be there
> too)), and that there is some kind of marking mechanism (so that I can mark
> the last consistent state).
> The reason I want to do this using QEMU is that it has live migration -
> which is almost what I need.
> Right now my plan is to treat the memory as a file, and put it and all the
> vm images on the same mirroring block device.

Have you looked at Kemari for KVM (try searching qemu-devel)?  It
builds a fault tolerance mechanism on top of live migration.  Memory,
disk, and network changes are sent to a secondary machine which
passively tracks the state of the VM.  You can fail over to the last
completed transaction state.  Sounds similar to what you want to do.

Stefan