qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: usb redirection over the network, interesting outs

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: usb redirection over the network, interesting outside of spice?
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 12:50:31 +0100

  Hi,

The idea here is that a usb device connected to machine a, will be
available for use by the guest os running on host b (machine b).

I'm working on this because it is something which we want / need
for spice. I'm wondering if there is interest in this outside
of spice ?

Sure. The idea to support usb forwarding over vnc comes up now and then. Also having a standalone app is probably useful for testing and development and maybe logging the communication between guest OS and device.

I'm asking because at this moment in time the redirection support
can probably be written in a way which abstracts the transport channel
quite easily, allowing use outside of spice.

Yes, I think we certainly want to do that. I think on the qemu side we want plumbing into chardev and spice, maybe also vnc. On the client side a library (building on top of libusb?), a standalone app and support in spice client and maybe gtk-vnc would be good I think.

cheers,
  Gerd