qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [STATUS] static instrumentation

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [STATUS] static instrumentation
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 19:23:29 +0000

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 6:40 PM, Lluís <address@hidden> wrote:
> All virtual memory accesses should now be instrumented on all
> architectures.
>
> Next steps (in order):
>
>  * Separately instrument physical memory addresses for executed
>    instructions, regular memory accesses and memory accesses to I/O
>    space (if possible). This will need to add an extra field on
>    CPUTLBEntry with the physical address of the page.
>
>  * Instrument memory accesses performed by DMA operations.
>
>  * See how it plays with KVM. The objective is to make it switch from
>    KVM to emulation (and the other way around) when a backdoor
>    instruction is found.
>
>  * Finish implementation of used/defined register usage in x86.
>
> As always:
>   git clone https://code.gso.ac.upc.edu/git/qemu-instrument
>   https://projects.gso.ac.upc.edu/projects/qemu-instrument

The patches there seem to be fixes or small changes to your other
patches. This makes any review very difficult.

But I'm not sure the architecture is what we'd like to see integrated
in QEMU, though I may have missed the whole picture because of the
patch fragmentation problem. Before doing any work to possibly go
further in wrong direction, please try to submit early some preview
version for comments and review.

Just as an example, perhaps the existing tracing framework could be
extended to cover also your needs.