qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [resend]Crashing early in XP i386 guest install with a virt

From: Brad Campbell
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [resend]Crashing early in XP i386 guest install with a virtio block driver enabled.
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 08:19:39 +0800

Resent as I've not seen a trace of the first one in 12 hours..

I'm running git (as of 5 minutes ago) on an AMD Phenom 97xx. Debian stable, 64
bit self compiled kernel.

I've got qemu-system-x86_64 symlinked to qemu

My minimal test case is ...
qemu -drive if=virtio,file=xp_base.qcow2 -cdrom XP.iso -boot d

XP gets half way though loading the storage drivers and errors with
"An unexpected error (769) occurred at
line 5218 in d:\xpsp\base\boot\setup\setup.c.
Press any key to continue"

This error appears to not be terminal as you can press a key and move on, but it only happens with the virtio block driver configured. It is reproducible using a vanilla XP iso.

I've tried it with raw/qcow2/vmdk images and it bombs in the same place.

Interestingly enough, if file=/dev/null then it continues on until it realises it can't go any further as there is no hard disk it can see.

I first encountered this with the current qemu-kvm head, but it's reproducible completely with the current vanilla git qemu and kvm switched off.

I'd guess it's hardly on the radar of stuff to fix but while I was toying with a self-contained XP guest disk with the virtio drivers installed I bumped up against it and I thought someone might want to know about it.

Regards,