qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Anyone seeing huge slowdown launching qemu with Linux 2

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Anyone seeing huge slowdown launching qemu with Linux 2.6.35?
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 12:42:09 -0500

On 08/03/2010 12:01 PM, Avi Kivity wrote:
You mean, only one class of users cares about the performance of loading an initrd. However, you've also argued in other threads how important it is not to break libvirt even if it means we have to do silly things (like change help text).

So... why is it that libguestfs has to change itself and yet we should bend over backwards so libvirt doesn't have to change itself?

libvirt is a major user that is widely deployed, and would be completely broken if we change -help. Changing -help is of no consequence to us. libguestfs is a (pardon me) minor user that is not widely used, and would suffer a performance regression, not total breakage, unless we add a fw-dma interface. Adding the interface is of consequence to us: we have to implement live migration and backwards compatibility, and support this new interface for a long while.

I certainly buy the argument about making changes of little consequence to us vs. ones that we have to be concerned about long term.

However, I don't think we can objectively differentiate between a "major" and "minor" user. Generally speaking, I would rather that we not take the position of "you are a minor user therefore we're not going to accommodate you".

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

In an ideal world we wouldn't tolerate any regression. The world is not ideal, so we prioritize.

the -help change scores very high on benfit/cost.  fw-dma, much lower.

Note in both cases the long term solution is for the user to move to another interface (cap reporting, virtio), so adding an interface which would only be abandoned later by its only user drops the benfit/cost ratio even further.