qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Disable PS/2 mouse

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Disable PS/2 mouse
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 09:32:59 +0200

On 06/10/2010 09:12 AM, Dor Laor wrote:
On 06/09/2010 05:35 PM, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
Hi,

with 0.12.4 it is still the case that a total idle vm takes about 6-8%
of a 2.4GHz Xeon Core.

I see that order of magitude too, no matter whenever usb is on or off.
With older qemu and usbtablet it used to be up to 25%.

Is it possible to dynamically control the refresh internally within qemu
so VMs without a connected VNC client will have rare refreshes or no
refresh at all? I hope it's not the OS who polls it.

vnc/vga or usb tablet?

For the vga it happens already, with no vnc client connected vnc zaps the refresh timer and stops calling vga_hw_update(), thus vga stops doing framebuffer dirty tracking too.

For usb hid devices: No idea how they work and whenever we can put them into sleep somehow (with/without guest cooperation).

cheers,
  Gerd