qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: sun framebuffer selection (was option-rom)

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: sun framebuffer selection (was option-rom)
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 19:43:34 +0000

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Artyom Tarasenko
<address@hidden> wrote:
> 2010/6/6 Blue Swirl <address@hidden>:
>>>>

> Why not just probe for both devices? OpenBIOS has the intention
> to run one day on a real hardware, doesn't it?

I don't think it's very interesting for old hardware. Also coreboot
may be a better platform (with OpenBIOS as a payload).

> How is the graphic card different from cpu or a disk drive?

It isn't.

>>> Well, let's try to figure out a method of selecting the framebuffer
>>> type.  I'll try to list some of the options, even if they might be
>>> ridiculous.
>>>
>>> 1) Use the -vga option.  I know TCX and cg14 are not vga, but I think
>>> it's the closest existing command line option available.
>>>
>>> 2) Switch based on the -g WxH option.  At the moment, the TCX emulation
>>> doesn't really handle anything other than 1024x768, so switch to cg14
>>> for other resolutions if supported.
>>>
>>> 3) Use some other existing command line option, -device, -set or
>>> -global?  Might work, but the syntax may not be easy to remember.
>>
>> We don't have an equivalent of -chardev, -netdev and -drive for displays.
>
> I guess only cause the other emulated platforms don't have that much
> of choice (yet).
> Why not use just the generic -device option?

Then there would be two graphics devices. There should be something
like -displaydev SDL,id=1 -displaydev SDL,id=2 -device cg14,display=1
-device TCX,display=2.