qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] QMP: Introduce query-netdevices documentation

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] QMP: Introduce query-netdevices documentation
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 17:01:45 +0200

Miguel Di Ciurcio Filho <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Yes.  I'd want separate queries for each, or perhaps a single query that
>>> returns
>>>
>>> { 'hostdev': some-object-with-host-device-properties-only, 'nic':
>>> some-object-that-describes-the-guest-nic }
>>
>> We need a query-netdev and then info qdm already provides the guest nic
>> properties.  Just filter out devices that have a netdev property.
>>

> How about this small draft:
>
> Possible values for "type": tap, user, vde and socket. The 'info'
> object contains all the parameters available via -netdev type,args.
>
> Notice: vlan is still there, unless the support for it is removed, IMHO.

Agreed.  As long as we have VLANs, we better cover them here.

> -> { "execute": "query-netdev" }
> <- {
>       "return": [
>          {
>             "device": "tap.0",
>             "vlan": 0,
>             "type": "tap",
>             "info": {
>                "script": "/etc/qemu-ifup",
>                "downscript": "/etc/qemu-ifdown",
>                "ifname": "tap0",
>             },

This one's connected to a VLAN, namely #0.  Any guest device on the same
VLAN has a "vlan" property with the value 0.

>          {
>             "device": "user.0",
>             "type": "user",
>             "info": {
>                "net": "10.0.2.0",
>                "netmask": "255.255.255.0"
>             },
>          },

And this one's not connected to a VLAN.  It may or may not be connected
to a single guest device.  If it is, then that device has a "netdev"
property pointing to it.

For what it's worth, "info network" shows that device as "peer=ID".