qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: RFC: blockdev_add & friends, brief rationale, QMP docs

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: RFC: blockdev_add & friends, brief rationale, QMP docs
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 14:23:27 +0300

On 05/31/2010 01:54 PM, Markus Armbruster wrote:

We expose some of the cache property to the guest.  IMO we need the
cache property to be both guest and host, with qemu bridging the
impedance mismatch if needed.
Yes.

How should the device properties look like?

write_cache=enabled|disabled|none? (disabled can be enabled by the guest, but none cannot)
barrier=supported|unsupported?

Need to look at our supported interfaces and see what's the LCM.

rerror, werror                      host, guest drivers will reject
                                        values they don't support

Did you mean 'block format drivers will reject'?
No.  Actual implementation is in the guest drivers,
e.g. ide_handle_rw_error().

That is not a guest driver. It is a device model. A guest driver is something you modprobe.

I see this as the host outsourcing the actual work to guest drivers.
Guest drivers that can't do the work should complain.  Right now, they
silently ignore the order.

With the terminology change, it makes a bit of sense.

Maybe we want an explicit blockdev_eject instead, not sure.
Either blockdev_change (can eject, insert with auto-eject) or completely
orthogonal blockdev_eject (can only eject) + blockdev_insert (can only
insert, no auto-eject), I'd say.

I prefer the latter, especially as eject has numerous variants (software locked eject button, force=true to unwrap paper clip and insert into pinhole, tray ejects violently knocking down hot beverage, etc).

signature is too narrow to contain.