qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC/ PATCH 1/4] qemu: Generic asynchronous threading

From: Corentin Chary
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC/ PATCH 1/4] qemu: Generic asynchronous threading framework to offload tasks
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 16:54:41 +0200

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Gautham R Shenoy <address@hidden> wrote:
> From: Aneesh Kumar K.V <address@hidden>
>
> This patch creates a generic asynchronous-task-offloading infrastructure. It's
> extracted out of the threading framework that is being used by paio.
>
> The reason for extracting out this generic infrastructure of the
> posix-aio-compat.c is so that other subsystems, such as virtio-9p could make
> use
> of it for offloading tasks that could block.

Hi,
I'm currently working asynchronous-encoding for the VNC server and
using that kind of approach (a queue of jobs, with a worker thread).
I'll post a RFC patch soon, but I would be happy to move to a generic
solution instead of managing my own queue of job.

I noticed that you were using directly pthread_* functions. Maybe you
should use (and extend) qemu-thread.h to provide some
kind of thread abstraction (even if currently qemu-thread is a direct
wrapper to pthread).

Thanks,

--
Corentin Chary