qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Patch to improve handling of server sockets

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Patch to improve handling of server sockets
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 13:04:26 +0200

  Hi,

You'll run into qmp for sure when forward-porting the patches to the
latest qemu bits. It is the machine-readable version of the monitor
protocol (in qemu 0.12+).

I guess that's the qemu_opt_set() calls at the end of inet_listen_opts()?

See docs in QMP/*, the changes in monitor.c and q${type}.[ch]

qemu_opt_set() in inet_listen_opts() is only slightly related. It is used to report back the address we've actually bound to. Used by 'info chardev' and I think vnc too. Yes, that has to be changed somehow ...

Second we have to care about the current users (especially libvirt).

Wouldn't the users of that bit of information run it through
getaddrinfo() anyways when trying to connect? So to them it shouldn't
matter whether the name or an ASCII representation of the address is used.

I don't know how it is used.

Today qemu usually reports the address I think. Thus I tend to stick
to addresses to keep them happy.

But wouldn't going from single address to multiple addresses be a bigger
change for the users (and likely break them all) while going from
address to name would only break those that were not using getaddrinfo()
to translate the address into its binary representation.

It is probably best to bring this up on the libvirt list, this is the
most important user of those interfaces and I think other virtual machine
management folks are reading there too.

I personally don't care too much which way we pick.

OTOH, going for multiple addresses would also allow starting qemu with
more than a single -vnc option, which doesn't seem to be possible right
now, and wich might come handy in situations when the set of addresses a
qemu instance should be listening on is not available as a single DNS name.

Good point.

cheers,
  Gerd