qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Multiple monitor interfaces?

From: Luiz Capitulino
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Multiple monitor interfaces?
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 15:26:40 -0300

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 23:23:45 +0900
Jun Koi <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am wondering if is it possible to have multiple monitor interfaces
> at the same time? If so, how can we open more than one?

 The following command will create three monitors (stdio, vc and telnet
on port 4444):

# qemu [...] -chardev stdio,id=mon0 -mon chardev=mon0,mode=readline \
             -chardev socket,id=mon1,host=localhost,port=4444,server \
             -mon chardev=mon1,mode=readline \
             -chardev vc,id=mon2 -mon chardev=mon2,mode=readline

> This might be useful for something like libvirt, so while we leave one
> monitor port for libvirt, we can still access to another one to
> control Qemu?

 Historically, libvirt had support to only one monitor: the one it uses. But
now they're working on supporting custom command-line options, so adding
new monitors should be possible I think.

 Also, you can point libvirt to a script that opens an additional monitor
for you, some developers do this afaik.