qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] General information about the QEMU project

From: Aurelien Jarno
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] General information about the QEMU project
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 19:21:45 +0200

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 01:14:17PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am searching for some informations about QEMU.
>
> 1.
> Currently it's possible to compile and run QEMU under Windows. Is there a
> fixed support for Windows platforms (as Host)? Or is it possible that newer
> releases only work on Linux platforms?

As long as there are some people who care for Windows, reporting bugs
and patches, it will be supported. I don't think support for Windows
will disappear soon.

> 2.
> I have searched for an "atapi cdrom passthrough" feature and found a (old)
> patch for Linux.
> http://archive.netbsd.se/?ml=qemu-devel&a=2009-06&t=11010205
>
> Is "passthrough" support implemented in QEMU? Does this also work with
> Windows hosts? Or is there a major reason why this feature is not
> implemented in QEMU?

This atapi passthrough has never been merged.

> 3.
> How long will the comunity support QEMU in the future? It seems for me with
> all the new virtualization technologies (CPU, ...) QEMU will be useless
> sometimes.

QEMU will never be useless, as the new virtualization technologies do
not solve the problem of emulating an ARM machine on a MIPS machine.
Moreover virtualization technologies are only the hardware part, a
software part is needed, and for example KVM is based on QEMU.

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
address@hidden                 http://www.aurel32.net