qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Revert bogus usb-ohci change

From: Paul Brook
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Revert bogus usb-ohci change
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 22:28:47 +0100

> On 4/4/10, Paul Brook <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Commit f1698408 "Compile usb-ohci only once" introduces a "be" property
> > to the pci-ohci device. The PCI bus is always little-endian, so this is
> > completely bogus. A hypothetical big-endian device would actually
> > introduce another byteswap.
>
> Then why there are again byte swaps with big endian target, aren't
> they bogus too? Because we don't have the byte swapping bus yet.
> Current system is bogus in this respect, so I claim that in general,
> the level of bogosity was not changed.

The difference is that your patch makes this visible to the user.
Internal warts are only annoying to developers. User visible warts annoy
and/or confuse everyone. Improving compile time at the expense of end user
happiness is something I consider to be a bad idea.

Compare this with e.g. pflash_cfi01 where you're trading compile time for code
size (~100 extra lines).  I'm not entirely convinced this is worth it, but am
not going to object too strongly. I do however think that your naming
convention is wrong. Instead of be/le it should be native/cross endian.
It just happens that all the current cross cases are for LE devices on a BE
target.

Paul