qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch 1/2] Pass QEMUIOWorker to qemu_notify_event

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch 1/2] Pass QEMUIOWorker to qemu_notify_event
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 21:06:00 +0000

>  /* Force QEMU to process pending events */
> -void qemu_notify_event(void);
> +void qemu_notify_event(QEMUIOWorker *worker);

>  static void handle_input(VirtIODevice *vdev, VirtQueue *vq)
>  {
> +    qemu_notify_event(main_io_worker);
>  }

This feels completely wrong.

Devices shouldn't know or care about implementation details like this. How is
a device supposed to know which worker it should be waking up?

qemu_notify_event is an ugly hack to workaround the fact that our character
device API is polled. If shouldn't exist in the first place, instead we should
have a proper mechanism for device emulation to notify the CharDriverState
when it is ready to recieve more data.

Paul