qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Compile files only once: some planning

From: Aurelien Jarno
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Compile files only once: some planning
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 22:00:27 +0100

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:24:12PM +0200, Blue Swirl wrote:
> On 3/24/10, Michael S. Tsirkin <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:05:10PM +0200, Blue Swirl wrote:
> >  > On 3/24/10, Michael S. Tsirkin <address@hidden> wrote:
> >  > > On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 11:43:51PM +0200, Blue Swirl wrote:
> >  > >  > rtl8139.c, e1000.c: need to convert ldl/stl to
> > cpu_physical_memory_read/write.
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > > I don't see how it would help. These still get target_phys_addr_t which
> >  > >  is per-target. Further, a ton of devices do
> >  > >  cpu_register_physical_memory/qemu_register_coalesced_mmio.
> >  > >  These are also per target.
> >  >
> >  > I don't know what I was eating yesterday: there are no references to
> >  > ldl/stl in either rtl8139 or e1000. In fact, the conversion is simple
> >  > for the device itself, just add a property "be". The attached patch
> >  > performs this part.
> >  >
> >  > But now there is a bigger problem, how to pass the property to the
> >  > device. It's not fair to require the user to remember to set it.
> >

> > I still don't fully understand how come e1000 cares about
> >  target endianness.
>
> It shouldn't. Maybe the real fix is to remove the byte swapping.

The real fix is actually to add a layer handling bus byte swapping
depending on how bus are connected.

Currently it only works because all big endian boards QEMU emulates
need to byteswap bus access, and none of the little endian boards
need to do that.

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
address@hidden                 http://www.aurel32.net