qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] vhost-blk implementation

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [RFC] vhost-blk implementation
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:23:36 +0200

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 12:55:07PM -0700, Badari Pulavarty wrote:
> Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

>>> I checked interrupts and IO exits - there is no major noticeable
>>> difference between
>>> vhost-blk and virtio-blk scenerios.

>>> Do you mean poll eventfd for new requests instead of waiting for new
>>> notifications ?
>>> Where do you do that in vhost-net code ?
>>>

>> vhost_disable_notify does this.
>>

>>> Unlike network socket, since we are dealing with a file, there is no
>>> ->poll support for it.
>>> So I can't poll for the data. And also, Issue I am having is on the
>>> write() side.
>>>

>> Not sure I understand.
>>

>>> I looked at it some more - I see 512K write requests on the
>>> virtio-queue  in both vhost-blk and virtio-blk cases. Both qemu or
>>> vhost is doing synchronous  writes to page cache (there is no write
>>> batching in qemu that is affecting this  case).  I still puzzled on
>>> why virtio-blk outperforms vhost-blk.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Badari
>>>

>> If you say the number of requests is the same, we are left with:
>> - requests are smaller for some reason?
>> - something is causing retries?
>>
> No. IO requests sizes are exactly same (512K) in both cases. There are
> no retries or
> errors in both cases. One thing I am not clear is - for some reason
> guest kernel
> could push more data into virtio-ring in case of virtio-blk vs
> vhost-blk. Is this possible ?
> Does guest gets to run much sooner in virtio-blk case than vhost-blk ?
> Sorry, if its dumb question -
> I don't understand  all the vhost details :(
>
> Thanks,
> Badari

BTW, did you put the backend in non-blocking mode?
As I said, vhost net passes non-blocking flag to
socket backend, but vfs_write/read that you use does
not have an option to do this.

So we'll need to extend the backend to fix that,
but just for demo purposes, you could set non-blocking
mode on the file from userspace.

--
MST