qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Completing big real mode emulation

From: Sheng Yang
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Completing big real mode emulation
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 18:05:26 +0800

On Saturday 20 March 2010 23:00:49 Alexander Graf wrote:
> Am 20.03.2010 um 15:02 schrieb Mohammed Gamal <address@hidden>:

> >> IIRC even current Windows (last I checked was XP, but it's probably
> >> true for
> >> newer) invokes big real mode inadvertently.  All it takes is not to
> >> clear fs
> >> and gs while switching to real mode.  It works because the real
> >> mode code
> >> never uses gs and fs (i.e. while we are technically in big real
> >> mode, the
> >> guest never relies on this), and because there are enough hacks in
> >> vmx.c to
> >> make it work (restoring fs and gs after the switch back).  IIRC
> >> there are
> >> other cases of invalid guest state that we hack into place during
> >> mode
> >> switches.

> >> Mostly those old guests aged beyond usefulness.  They are still
> >> broken, but
> >> nobody installs new images.  Old images installed via workarounds
> >> work.
> >>
> >> Goals for this task could include:
> >>
> >>  - get those older guests working
> >>  - get emulate_invalid_guest_state=1 to work on all supported guests
> >>  - switch to emulate_invalid_guest_state=1 as the default
> >>  - drop the code supporting emulate_invalid_guest_state=0 eventually
> >
> > To this end I guess the next logical step is to compile a list of
> > guests that are currently not working/work with hacks only, and get
> > them working. Here are some suggestions:
> > - MINIX 3.1.6 (developers have been recently filing bug reports
> > because of boot failures)
> > - Win XP with emulation enabled
> > - FreeDOS with memory extenders
> >
> > Any other guests you'd like to see on this list?
>
> I remember old openSUSE iso bootloaders had issues. I think it was
> around 10.3, but might have been earlier.

At least 10u2 installer has trouble. I had spent some time on it, finally
found it's due to ISOLINUX.

The basic issue is it assume that SS selector/base is unchanged when
enter/exit protect mode. At that time, I've cooked a hack workaround for it,
but didn't think it's proper to upstream.

--
regards
Yang, Sheng