qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] BeOS R5 boot failure

From: François Revol
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] BeOS R5 boot failure
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 23:16:18 +0100 CET

> http://bochs.cvs.sourceforge.net/bochs/bochs/CHANGES?view=markup&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup&revision=REL_2_4_2_FINAL
> >
> 2.2.5 December 2005 BeOS boot failure fix in the PCI IDE code
>
> 2.3.5 September 2007 [1500216] Bochs fails to boot BeOs CD

Hmm actually, I begin to think it just doesn't like booting from a
partition image directly. The fact the bootloader lists the volume
misleads into thinking it can boot...
Using the image as cdrom with a floppy image works fine.
Also, the log says ...ata/0/master/0/0_0 and 0_0 is supposed to be the
first partition, which of course doesn't exist (and thus has a size of
0...), the whole block device should have been .../raw instead. I
suppose I've been way too used to Haiku being able to boot this way.

Those images were meant to be used in a FAT or ext2 partition, not
straight away as disk images, unlike in Haiku.

I suppose it was just too obvious :^)

François.