qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Completing big real mode emulation

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Completing big real mode emulation
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 09:49:41 +0200

On 03/19/2010 05:29 PM, Mohammed Gamal wrote:
Hello all,
As some of you might know, I've worked on supporting big real mode
emulation on VMX back in GSoC 2008. Looking at the Qemu GSoC ideas
list for this year, I found it among the possible ideas for a GSoC
project. I'd be interested in driving this feature towards completion,
and I have a few questions about it.

- The kernel-space modifications needed to detect an invalid guest
state on VMX and drive emulation from that point was almost complete.
The part that was missing the most, is that the kvm x86 emulator
wasn't complete and didn't support the entire instruction set. I've
seen that the emulator has been the focus of some recent patches
(namely by Gleb Natapov). Is there anything else required to get big
real mode to work correctly on KVM?

IIRC there are some bugs in invalid guest state detection, so it may need some work. We don't support interrupt injection during invalid guest state, that will be tricky since it needs access to memory and interrupt injection currently happens from atomic context. Finally, there may still be missing instructions.

- Do we have other problems supporting big real mode on non-VMX
instruction sets? And do we have problems supporting it on the
userspace side?

No.

- Is there anything I am missing?

I think that's pretty much it.

--
Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to
panic.