qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu on Solaris

From: Jonathan Kalbfeld
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu on Solaris
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 22:22:04 -0800

Hey Seth,

Do you know if it builds on Sparc at all?  On Oracle Solaris ;)

jonathan

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 6:24 PM, Seth G <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

 I just sent a fair amount of time trying to figure out problems
with the qemu build and resulting binary.  The first problem (which
is no longer a problem due to the shell OpenSolaris uses) was that
`sh' was used in rules.mak to perform commands -- I had a /bin/sh
that was not bash-compatible.  That's a minor problem.  The
more-serious problem was that once qemu was built, it would die almost
immediately, complaining about smbus-eeprom not being an I2C device.
That problem appears to be due to an issue with gcc's use of the
Solaris native linker (/usr/ccs/bin/ld) -- the linker is not including
all .o's in the .a's, even though the --whole-archive switch was passed
to it.  The linker team is looking into that problem right now, but in
the meantime, manually performing the link step by specifying all the
required .o's yields a usable qemu executable.

 Thanks,
 --S

Jonathan Kalbfeld
ThoughtWave Technologies LLC
www.thoughtwave.com
LA: +1 818.306.5353 NY: +1 212.202.0698
Direct: +1 818 495 2139 FAX: +1 818 495 2140

Learn UNIX For Free at unixlessons.com