qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [patch uq/master 1/2] virtio-pci: wake up iothread

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: [patch uq/master 1/2] virtio-pci: wake up iothread on VIRTIO_PCI_QUEUE_NOTIFY
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:55:46 +0200

On 02/22/2010 05:42 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
Spurious calls to qemu_notify_event() also make it difficult to tell when it's actually necessary to call qemu_notify_event() vs. when it's just something that doesn't hurt.

One improvement in this area would be to add a context parameter (which eventually resolves to the underlying thread). Currently we'd ignore it since we have just one iothread, but it would serve to document what's being polled, and later direct the wakeup to the correct thread.

Ends up looking a lot like a condition. It's not necessarily a bad thing to model.

But the implementation is very different - condition variables sleep in pthread_cond_wait, the iothread sleeps in poll().

qemu_notify_event() is really requesting iothread t to re-add file fd to its poll set. Maybe we should make this a CharDriverState method.