qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] SeaBIOS error with Juniper FreeBSD kernel

From: Kevin O'Connor
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] SeaBIOS error with Juniper FreeBSD kernel
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 23:05:55 -0500

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 05:23:59PM -0700, Brandon Bennett wrote:
> When booting a Juniper JunOS kernel (FreeBSD based) I am getting a
> panic: unkown/reserved trap error immediately after the kernel loads.
> If i use an older pc-bios with the '-bios' option everything works so
> it seems to be an issue with the SeaBios.
>
> With #DEBUG_BIOS enabled in hw/pc.c here is what i am getting during boot.

Thanks Brandon,

I don't see anything in the log that looks suscpicious.  Are these
JunOS images available for download somewhere?

> Any help or direction on where to look further or options to try would be
> great.

Should a kernel fail during boot, I'd suspect it doesn't like one of
the apm/pcibios callbacks, or it doesn't like one of the
smbios/mptable/acpi tables.  You could try compiling the SeaBIOS code
(see http://seabios.org/Download ) and increasing the debugging by
modifying src/config.h.  Specifically, you could increase
CONFIG_DEBUG_LEVEL, and set DEBUG_HDL_pcibios32 and DEBUG_HDL_apm to
1.  Also, you could try disabling some of the features to see if that
prevents the fault (eg, disabling CONFIG_ACPI / CONFIG_SMBIOS /
CONFIG_MPTABLE).

-Kevin