qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Audio latency

From: malc
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Audio latency
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:42:03 +0300 (MSK)

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, Alberich de megres wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 7:53 AM, malc <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, Alberich de megres wrote:
> >
> >> I'm using the alsa driver.
> >> Even I tried to change some values using the export and some flags
> >> that -audio-help shows, but nothing significant.
> >
> > Please do not top post.
>
> Sorrry!!

> > How do you measure it?
> With a program called dpc latency, it's for windows.

> > As in: with setpci?
> Yes. I also tired, on host, to low latency to VGA to 10.

That's completely unrelated latency [1]

> > Lowering video resolution of what? Guest, host?
>
> Yes, it was on guest. Even for example if i change the desktop or
> switch to a text terminal when things works better what suggested me
> that could be something with painting the screen. But i'm not shure if
> its just only a side effect of a bad launch command, or something
> else.

> > It would also help to know which version of QEMU you run and exactly how
> > you invoke it.
>
> You're right..sorry:
>
> qemu-kvm -cpu core2duo -smp 2 -m 1024 -hda /home/nine/imgs/hda1.img
> -vga std  -usbdevice tablet
>                -name t1  -net nic,macaddr=55:54:00:12:34:56 -net
> tap,ifname=tap1,script=no
>                -soundhw ac97

I can't help you with kvm and windows, that said here are the things
to try:
 a. Vanilla qemu
 b. No smp

And i'm not saying that those will help, just trying to collect more
data points.

P.S. 4 seconds of latency is sortof insane, especially given that
     default buffering for ALSA is nowhere near that, not by a
     longest shot.

[1] http://www.reric.net/linux/pci_latency.html

--
mailto:address@hidden