qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Advise on updating SeaBIOS in stable

From: Aurelien Jarno
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Advise on updating SeaBIOS in stable
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 07:11:49 +0100

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 05:58:35PM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> On 01/12/2010 10:51 PM, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 01:43:47PM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm ready to cut another qemu stable release and I'm contemplating
>>> whether to update to 0.5.1 in stable.  Generally speaking, we try to
>>> limit stable to bug fixes and changes that aren't user visible.
>>>
>>> 0.5.1 looks like a point on the master branch as opposed to a
>>> separate branch.  I wonder what the thinking is within SeaBIOS about
>>> what sort of changes will be in the 0.5.x series vs. what would
>>> result in 0.6.0.
>>>
>> Hi Anthony,
>>
>> I didn't have a particular release numbering scheme in mind when I
>> tagged 0.5.1.  I'd probably lean towards making a "v0.5.0.x" branch if
>> we want an update with just critical bug fixes.
>>
>> However, there have only been a few bug fixes (mostly workarounds for
>> compiler oddities), though the yield fix (fb214dc7) and ram over 4gig
>> fix (669c991d) should go in.
>>

> I actually need the compiler fix to build on my laptop (F12) so I've
> included that too.  Care to take a look at
> git://git.qemu.org/seabios.git stable-0.5.0?  It survives some light
> testing and I'll be doing more thorough testing overnight.
>
> If you want to add some more and/or tag a release, I'll resync again
> before cutting 0.12.2.
>
>> If you're looking to pull in 32bit pcibios support, then I don't think
>> it would be worthwhile to rebase to a stable branch, as the 32bit
>> pcibios support is easily the biggest user visible change in v0.5.1
>> (in the sense that Linux will call 32bit pcibios if it's available).
>>

> Unless there's a strong demand for it, I'd like to hold off on 32bit
> pcibios support.

I would really like to see either that, or support for bochsbios again.
Hurd is not able to boot correctly without 32bit pcibios support, and I
fear it will be the case of other OSes.

Also 085debd93f52d36381ea13ef27e7f72e87fe62f5 could be interesting in a
new stable release, this fix comes from a problem detected on an image
that was working with 0.11.x.

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
address@hidden                 http://www.aurel32.net