qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: cpuid problem in upstream qemu with kvm

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: cpuid problem in upstream qemu with kvm
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 12:23:01 +0100

On 12/22/2009 11:56 PM, Jamie Lokier wrote:
Are you joking?  Even as a casual users, when would you ever run
Windows without networking these days???!  I don't think you can even
buy a computer without networking any more:-)

Probably not. :)

Or do you mean something else by "networked images" in a company context?

"Networked images"---not "networked VMs". I meant "placing lots of images on a shared file server", so that people can use them from many different workstations; I think Alexander Graf mentioned this scenario earlier. In that case, people would run the images from different CPU and possibly play with adding and removing network cards etc., so reactivations would be relatively common (I definitely have to deal with them every other week, but luckily I do have MSDN...).

Fwiw, when I have done Windows migrations for companies, they never
have MSDN subscriptions (and neither do I:-)  They have purchased
Windows with the machines, and later they want to migrate those
machines into VMs.

In this case I would expect the reactivation to be needed the first time anyway, because the graphics card, CPU and maybe network card are changing at the same time (do they still sell Cirrus Logic VGAs? I had one ten years ago...). But once you're in a VM and your network settings are finalized, you shouldn't get reactivation anymore.

Paolo