qemu-devel

Re: Proper support for PCI-based option rom loading (was Re: [Qemu-devel

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: Proper support for PCI-based option rom loading (was Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: qdev property bug?)
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 15:57:30 -0600

Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
Heh, this is going to be really broken with my patches :-)

We're during qemu_ram_alloc() and we currently don't have a means to associate ram with anything meaningful. This means that if you hot plug on two ends in different orders (even with fixed slots), the returned qemu_ram_alloc() pointers will be different for the same device. This means when you did the live migration of the rom contents, you'd get the wrong roms in the wrong places.

I think we need to improve how we do qemu_ram_alloc() such that we can associate some meaningful context with each allocated chunk that we can migrate with the chunk of ram.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Hmm. You think all this is 0.12 material?
I think it's stable-0.12 material because it's badly broken right now but it's clearly not a candidate for 0.12.0 as it still doesn't work reliably.

I'm going to pull in Gerd's fix for 0.12.0.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori