qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: qdev property bug?

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: qdev property bug?
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 13:59:47 -0600

Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
At some level this is wrong. ROM presence is a hardware feature and you
definitely need to select your hardware when you create a VM.  For real
hardware, cards with PXE are sometimes more expensive than without as
they need ROM memory.  People do select hardware based on this.

Even when PXE is present in hardware, most BIOS
vendors will let you turn it on/off optionally,
for security if not for other reasons.

What the default should be depends on whether the
majority of our users use PXE. I guess not,
and if I am right default should be off.

The real way to pose this question is, what is the impact to users by keeping this on to those that don't use it vs. the cost of turning it off by default for users that do need it.

So far, it's not clear to me that anyone has demonstrated how this is harmful for people that don't want pxe booting. Assuming we fix the bug about rom loading, then there's really no impact to users.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori