qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Spice project is now open

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Spice project is now open
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 12:46:07 +0200

On 12/13/2009 01:46 AM, Anthony Liguori wrote:

Dan Berrange and I have been talking about being able to move VNC server into a central process such that all of the VMs can have a single VNC port that can be connected to. This greatly simplifies the firewalling logic that an administrator has to deal with. That's a problem I've already had to deal with for our management tools. We use a private network for management and we bridge the VNC traffic into the customers network so they can see the VGA session. But since that traffic can be a large range of ports and we have to tunnel the traffic through a central server to get into the customer network, it's very difficult to setup without opening up a mess of ports. I think we're currently opening a few thousand just for VNC.

Seems to me the best way to handle this is to run an accept() in a server and hand the resulting fd to the vnc server in qemu using ... wait for it ... SCM_RIGHTS.

I'm just happy every time someone lobs a question into the air that can be answered using SCM_RIGHTS.