qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Spice project is now open

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Spice project is now open
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 11:28:51 -0600

Avi Kivity wrote:
On 12/12/2009 05:11 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:

I have no idea how SPICE performs now, but there's definitely nothing in a modern X Windows desktop that it cannot deal with. The only negative point it might have compared to Windows is IMO the rendering of text.

I think the question I was raising was not whether Spice could handle X, but that given the things you can do with X, is all of Spice really needed. IOW, would we get 99% of the way there with Xv accelerated overlays and Xrender based compositing for VNC?

Suppose only 1% of spice is needed to support X. Given that we wish to support Windows well, does it matter?

I understand X better than I understand Windows so it's easier for me to understand things as they relate to X.

My original question was how much better is Spice support for Windows than it is for X. If Spice is really designed for Windows and does really well for it, that's great. I'm just trying to understand what it's good for and what it's not good for.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori