qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Use per-cpu reset handlers.

From: Glauber Costa
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Use per-cpu reset handlers.
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 14:00:24 -0200

The proposal in this patch is to add a system_reset caller that only
resets state related to the cpu. This will guarantee that does functions
are called from the cpu-threads, not the I/O thread.

In principle, it might seem close to the remote execution mechanism, but:
 * It does not involve any extra signalling, so it should be faster.
 * The cpu is guaranteed to be stopped, so it is much less racy.
 * What runs where becomes more explicit.
 * This is much, much less racy

The previous implementation was giving me races on reset. This one makes
it work flawlesly w.r.t reset.