qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: PC machine types switched to SeaBIOS/gPXE

From: Beth Kon
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: PC machine types switched to SeaBIOS/gPXE
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 18:09:50 -0500

Jan Kiszka wrote:
Stefan Weil wrote:
Anthony Liguori schrieb:
Jan Kiszka wrote:
Anthony Liguori wrote:
Hi,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I've switched the PC machine
type to SeaBIOS and gPXE.  SeaBIOS is a port of the Bochs BIOS to GCC,
by Kevin O'Conner, along with quite a lot of clean up and new
feature work.

gPXE is the new development tree of etherboot which is now
deprecated. We've done a lot of testing of and while there are a few
outstanding
issues, almost everything seems to be working okay.

Some known issues:
o e1000 pxe booting doesn't seem to work
o gPXE does not like the slirp tftp server
Can't confirm, works nicely here with default settings (e1000).
Interesting.  I'll have to look again.
Hi,

it loads the ROM, but ROM and e1000 don't match.

But they work together if you do not specify '-boot n' and go via the
command prompt instead.

I tested with a fresh build.

Jan, did you check that qemu uses the correct bios path?
Maybe -L <dir> was missing.

Yes, it's correct and -L makes no difference.

Jan

Serendipity allowed us to find this really easily, thanks to some old builds lying around...

The following Seabios commit breaks gpxe boot with e1000:

commit a5826b5ad482f44d293387dc7513e5e98802a54e
Author: Kevin O'Connor <address@hidden>
Date:   Sat Oct 24 17:57:29 2009 -0400

   Add simple cooperative threading scheme to allow parallel hw init.
Enable system for running hardware initialization in parallel.
   The yield() call can now round-robin between "threads".
   Rework ata controller init to use a thread per controller.
   Make sure internal drives are registered in a defined order.
   Run keyboard initialization in a thread.
   Rework usb init to use a thread per controller.