qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PC machine types switched to SeaBIOS/gPXE

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PC machine types switched to SeaBIOS/gPXE
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 12:07:12 +0100

Anthony Liguori schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to let everyone know that I've switched the PC machine
> type to SeaBIOS and gPXE.  SeaBIOS is a port of the Bochs BIOS to GCC,
> by Kevin O'Conner, along with quite a lot of clean up and new feature
> work.
>
> gPXE is the new development tree of etherboot which is now
> deprecated.  We've done a lot of testing of and while there are a few
> outstanding issues, almost everything seems to be working okay.
>
> Some known issues:
> o e1000 pxe booting doesn't seem to work
> o gPXE does not like the slirp tftp server
> o SeaBIOS doesn't support CPU hotplug (not an issue for upstream qemu)
>
> I've renamed the old pcbios to pcbios.bin.  If you suspect a bug in
> SeaBIOS, you can use "-bios pcbios.bin" to try with the old BIOS in an
> effort to debug.
>
> I want to thank everyone who helped make this all happen.  It was a
> big effort and I think it's going to be a really nice feature for the
> 0.12.0 release!

More issues:

* QEMU crash with all working pxe devices:

i386-softmmu/qemu -boot n -net nic,model=pcnet -net user -L pc-bios
qemu: fatal: Trying to execute code outside RAM or ROM at 0x7e6005a8

EAX=00007b52 EBX=9c730001 ECX=54450246 EDX=00000000
ESI=061f0000 EDI=c7300000 EBP=00000000 ESP=00007b88
EIP=7e6005a8 EFL=00000002 [-------] CPL=0 II=0 A20=1 SMM=0 HLT=0

This happens only with SeaBIOS, the old BIOS works!

Regards,
Stefan Weil