qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: audio segfault in qemu-kvm-0.11.0

From: Gene Czarcinski
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: audio segfault in qemu-kvm-0.11.0
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 11:11:20 -0400

On Friday 23 October 2009 10:29:44 malc wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Oct 2009, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> > > [..snip..]

> > > FWIW, there's no information whatosever about what audio hardware was
> > > built and enabled, what sound system was used on the host/guest the
> > > report is devoid of any useful information (given the state of the
> > > backtrace)
> >
> > That's fine, we'd only be delighted to provide some more info.
> >
> > Our tree is at http://repo.or.cz/w/qemu-kvm/fedora.git
> >

> > It's based off the stable-0.11 branch
> >
> > Code is:
> >
> >         if (played) {
> >             hw->ts_helper += played;
> >             audio_capture_mix_and_clear (hw, prev_rpos, played);
> >         }
> >
> > If it would help you, I could ask Gene to reproduce with a -O0 build
>
> Yes, that'd be nice.
>
> > Built with --audio-drv-list=pa,sdl,alsa,oss
> >
> > Command line was:
> >
> >   QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=none qemu-kvm ... -soundhw es1370
> >
> > Not a lot of info on exactly what the guest is doing with sound, only
> > that they are Fedora 11 or Fedora 12 guests
>
> Can Gene try to reproduce it with plain QEMU?

The real sound hardware should not be relevant since qemu-kvm current does not
support sound and "has it disabled" even if, by default, there is an ES1370
virtual device defined.

Nevertheless, the real hardware is (ASUS M4A78 PRO mobo):
00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 8346
        Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
        Memory at fbbf4000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
        Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
01:05.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RS780 Azalia controller
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 82f1
        Memory at fbdfc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
        Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

Can I reproduce the problem with qemu only (no kvm) ... If I could reproduce
the problem at all, then maybe.  I have no idea what causes the problem.

All occurrences of the problem were on a previous install with
qemu-kvm-0.11.0-6.fc12.x86_64.

I am currently running F12-Beta with qemu-kvm-0.11.0-7.fc12.x86_64 but still
have the "old" system "just a re-boot away".

At the time I was running (most likely) two guests ... an F11 and an F12 and
the guest had been running for some time (the crash did not occur immediately
or soon after guest start).  I was certainly doing nothing with respect to
sound since, as far as I was concerned, it did not work.

I had five occurrences of qemu-kvm segfault (according to grep'ing
/var/log/messages* between 6 October and 13 October and an addition occurrence
on 19 October ... all with qemu-kvm "-6".

As far as I can tell, I only have abrt data from the 19 October occurrence.

If this was a problem which I could cause "on demand", this situation may be
different ... but I don't.  I have not had this problem occur on my fresh
install of F12-Beta.

I can bring up q qemu guest and "let it sit" but I am not sure what to do to
cause the problem.

Comments?

Gene