qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ANN: QEMU Monitor Protocol git tree

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ANN: QEMU Monitor Protocol git tree
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:57:01 +0100

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 08:56:04PM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Luiz Capitulino wrote:
> >Now the controversial part: it's json based. ;)
> >
> >I have chosen json because of the reasons already explained by others in
> >the original QMP thread. Basically, json is so simple that if we design
> >a small protocol from scratch, chances are it will look like json.
> >

> json is not a deal break.  My main concern was our ability to extend
> json and whether supporting stock json libraries was a hard
> requirement.  I also would like to see a C client library since our
> biggest consumer (libvirt) is based in C.

I've googled around quickly and there are at least 5 pieces of C code
and/or C libraries that can parse JSON. Hopefully one of them will be
sufficient / suitable for libvirt's needs. We'll just need to try it
out and see what happens....

> >2.1 General Definitions
> >-----------------------
> >
> >All interactions transmitted by Client and Server are json-objects that end
> >with CRLF.
> >

> CRLF?  Really?
>
> Ignoring the dos-ism, since you can parse JSON with a regexp, why do we
> need explicit message boundaries?

I think it would be nice to be able to assume that each JSON message
will not cross a line-end boundary. Whether we use CRLF, just CR or
just LF I don't mind. Its much easier to search for a message boundary
by just doing strchr('\n')  than having to actually parse the JSON or
use a regexp at that point.

Daniel